Friday, February 16, 2018

Doppelgangers – Red, White & Blue (Stripes)

There’s a lotta countries out there.  Given that, I’m not too surprised that there were some girls who wore the exact same dress to the party, if you know what I mean.


Netherlands


The Dutch flag dates all the way back to the late 1500s. Interestingly, though, it was originally orange-white-blue, only officially switching in the 1930s:


Why not clear up some of the confusion here and just switch back?


Luxembourg 


So, I realize we’ve turned the Dutch flag upside down, and are using a slightly different blue and red. I don’t know, though – I’m just not buyin’ it.

It’s actually not too surprising that these two flags are so similar. In fact, the two countries shared the same ruler until 1890.

The Luxembourgers do, however, sometimes use this very different “civil ensign” as a substitute:


I like it! Let’s make it official.


Paraguay


Not sure how these guys fit in. I guess a slightly darker red and some lame-o seal are all it takes, though, no?

Supposedly, Paraguay’s flag was influenced by France’s vertical tricolor. The Paraguayan flag dates all the way back to 1811 or so. 


More links:

No comments:

Post a Comment